Delegates must attend both dates to complete the course, please add both dates into your diary.
This course is a virtual course run via Zoom or Teams - joining instructions will be sent to via diary invite a week before the course date.
To give health & social care staff (including professionals) an awareness of the concept
of self-neglect/hoarding, as included in the Safeguarding section of the Care Act 2014
Health & social care staff in any setting
Please note, this course will have regular breaks for participants so please ensure you take yourself away from the screen. The course is aimed to be interactive
Learning outcomes: by the end of this session participants should:
• Have an understanding of the concept of ‘self-neglect’ and what type of behaviours may be considered as such
• Have an understanding of the nature of Hoarding Behaviours as a particular type of Self-Neglect, and why this may occur and the diagnostic elements of such
• Understand the different categories and models of hoarding behaviour
• Be aware of the difficulty in engaging clients who self-neglect / hoard
• Be aware of various research studies concerning self-neglect and hoarding
• Be aware of the learning outcome from Serious Case Reviews (Safeguarding Adults Reviews) that have involved self-neglect / hoarding
• Understand the concept of Mental Capacity and the legal framework related to the issues raised by self-neglect and hoarding behaviours
• Be aware of the Human Rights Act and how this may impact on the individual who may self-neglect, in particular Articles 8 and 5 of the European Convention on Human Rights
• Be aware of the responsibilities of Local Authorities under Section 42 of the Care Act 2014 with regard to making enquiries concerning the Safeguarding of individuals who may be at risk
• Be aware of local policies and procedures regarding adults who may self-neglect, and how the care pathways specified may operate
• Understand some of the practical interventions that may help
Please be aware that by making this booking and agreeing to the terms and conditions, you are confirming you have your managers authorisation to attend this training and are aware of the cancellation/non-attendance charges that apply.